The Complete Guide to Australian Birds
A compact and up-to-date photographic guide to Australia’s birds from the author of Birdscaping Australian Gardens.
- Penguin Random House
- Publish Date
- November 2018
This book is the most up-to-date guide to Australian birds available. Written in everyday language, with crisp, brilliant digital images taken in the wild, this authoritative guide includes:
- The first entry and photograph of the previously believed extinct Night Parrot
- The recently recognised as a full specie Lesser Sooty Owl
- The Thick-billed Grasswren
- All seven species of Quail-thrush
- The Paperbark Flycatcher
- Rare photographs of the male Superb Lyrebird in courtship display
- The Bustard in courtship plumage
- The male Magnificent Riflebird in its courtship dance
- The first photograph of a nesting colony of Australian Swiftlets taken in a deep, dark cave in tropical Queensland . . . and much more.
Beyond a field guide, this book is divided into 27 chapters, with each chapter opening with fascinating background information. The easily accessible information on each bird includes: common and scientific names, size, description, behaviour, preferred habitat, feeding habits, voice, status and breeding. Distribution maps are arranged next to the photographic illustrations of the bird.